Monday, April 4, 2011

10 Records That Shaped My Youth: Ages 13-16

Thus begins our second installment of the records that shaped my youth. Last time, if you'll recall, I was knee-deep in hair metal and pretty much loving every moment. At some point, however, my tastes shifted. I went grunge. See that kid wearing a flannel shirt on Tuesdays and a green "grandpa" cardigan on Friday? No...that's not Kurt Cobain. That's me.

My friend Kevin and I used to sing Nirvana's "Territorial Pissings" at the top of our lungs during school recess and then we would jump down the small grassy hill, rolling down it, scraping up your elbows and knees. Why? Because it was how we felt, man.


1 & 2. Nirvana - Nevermind/In Utero
Nirvana gets two spots because, really, almost everything I listened to during this period was Kurt Cobain's scratchy voice.

3. Weezer - The Blue Album
Still great. Almost - almost - as good as Pinkerton, but not quite. Regardless, Weezer's self-titled debut was the poppiest, catchiest thing I'd heard that was also cool. Dude played Dungeons & Dragons and admitted it!

4. Sonic Youth - Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star
My friend Kevin (the same one mentioned above) got me into Sonic Youth. It was a short-lived affair, but this record is still pretty awesome. And, more recently, I've been digging them once again.

5 & 6. The Doors - The Doors/Strange Days
It was always a toss-up between Nirvana and The Doors. I loved Jim Morrison's slow, slightly flat baritone as much as I loved Cobain's scratchiness. The first time I heard "Crystal Ship" I was in love. When I heard "Moonlight Drive," I knew there was no going back.

7. Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love & Hate
My dad had this vinyl record laying around with this half-smiling, half-smirking guy on the front cover. I thought it looked cool so I put it on the player and really dug the poetry of the lyrics.

8. Pearl Jam - Ten
You know. Some things just happen by accident.

9. Soundgarden - Superunknown
I listened to this record the other day and you know what? It's pretty good. A shame Chris Cornell had to do all of that Audioslave nonsense. Gross.

10. Beck - Mellow Gold
Beck's last couple of records have been less than stellar, but this one and its follow-up still...I was going to say "rock" but that isn't quite right...they do whatever it is Beck does and they do it well.

4 comments:

  1. Gotta find a way, a better way, aaahahahaaahahahahahaorhd0vn03493aaa (falls down and dies)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is FAF!

    Another list that strangely enough carries many of the same names. I never managed to get in to Sonic Youth, but damn how I wanted to. I'd also have to put LA Woman into my own list, it was my first Doors album and is still my favorite.

    ReplyDelete