Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Lost in the Skahazadhan (and some other news)

I have been quiet here for the last week or so and with good reasons (or so I tell myself. heh.) I am knee-deep in the new George RR Martin book, A Dance With Dragons, the fifth in his series, A Song of Ice and Fire. I've found few faults with it thus far, and those that I have found, are pretty trivial and mine own writerly conscious going, "Well, I wouldn't have done it that way," but, of course, this isn't my story, regardless however much I want to be Jon Snow.

Okay, for those of you who haven't left from the geek-out, some other news on the horizon:

1. Don't forget my story, "El Camino," is available at Amazon. The print version - for those without kindle or smashwords - is coming very soon! It's fairly cheap to purchase and the other stories are also top-notch. (While you're at it, pick up the first Digital Science Fiction anthology with my friend Ken Schneyer's story in it.)

2. My Clarionite friends, Tom Underberg and Kali Wallace, are in the just-released The Thackery T. Lambshead Cabinet of Curiosities edited by Ann and Jeff Vandermeer. Get your copy at the liquidating Borders bookstores now! Or here! I recommend going to a physical location, however, and asking the bookseller if they have the new "Thackery T. Lambshead Cabinet of Curiosities," to see the look on their faces. When I asked a recent bookseller at Borders, her respone was, "I don't know the words you just said to me." We had a good laugh.

3) In music news: Tin Tin Can continues to make headway on the full-length. Guitar overdubs are nearly finished. We have some horns, background vocals, banjo, and various other odd instruments to add. We've got 12 or 13 songs to choose from, but right now, we're leaning on 8 or 9 to make the cut.

4) I saw the final Harry Potter flick over the weekend, the Deathly Boring Hallows. Well. I was not impressed. Zero character development, 19 years later, inexplicable magic without consequences (yet again), 19 years later, and 19 years later. I also thought Hermione and Ron were about as boring as ever.

5) This weekend I'll be watching Cowboys & Aliens, which I am wary of, but have heard great things about (chiefly from http://www.io9.com/). We shall see. It looks stupendously cheesy to me, but I have been wrong before. The movie I really want to see, however, is Another Earth (despite its kind of moany-emo-trailer) but it isn't playing anywhere near Chicago as yet.

Now, back to the Skahazadhan and the Wall. I shall return again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment